Monday 5 March 2012

The Immaturity Of Social Media Users

Hello everyone!

I wish this second ever blog post could be something positive, but I need to vent. Really badly.


 This is the angriest picture of me I could find. It does kind of summarise my feelings right now.

In my life recently I can’t help but notice an increase in the existence of bitchy tweets, facebook statuses and such. Maybe it's because I'm procrastinating so I'm using social media more but whatever. Some of these aimed at me, some aimed at people I know, some aimed at people I’ve never met. Let’s be honest, we’ve all probably done it at some point within our existence. But to be honest I don’t think I have for a good few years, because I’ve learnt how to be a mature, responsible and civil human being who likes to sort things out, shock horror, face to face. I know this concept may bypass some people in the world, but I like to think that if someone has a problem with me they’ll come up to me and give me the decency of talking about their issue to my face.

What is that bitchy status, tweet, wallpost or what have you, going to do? Make me feel bad? Why would it? Why would I feel bad about you being annoyed with me but not being brave enough to tell me? It’s the warped belief that I’ll actually feel guilty for allegedly doing something wrong to someone who doesn’t even have the guts to tell me to my face is actually pretty hilarious. Anyone who knows me knows I’m not an unreasonable guy, but this whole immaturity really annoys me. What are we fourteen year olds? Rather than being immature or bitchy, just talk to them! Whether they’re your co-worker, friend, family, fellow student, just turn to them and say ‘you’re annoying me’, ‘you’ve upset me’, ‘can you please move your pet hippo as it is currently inconveniently crushing my foot’ and so forth.

So this rant may be hypocritical as I’m insulting people for being bitchy on social media, while doing that very thing in the process, but seriously I’m doing this to prove how ridiculous it is! Please, people who do this (and you know who you are) just get over yourselves! Facebook, Twitter and such are not valid methods of expressing your dissatisfaction with your peers/friends/family/classmates. Sure, if you’re upset because you missed the bus or because it’s raining and that ruined your picnic or whatever, then feel free to post  and whine about your problems, because I know I do. But if you have a problem with someone, say it to their face. If you want someone to shut up on a lecture, turn to them and politely ask them to be quiet. If you’re unhappy with your friend, tell them you are in a mature way, rather than running to the nearest attention seeking immature route so they’ll see it and feel bad. And then in hope it has a knock on effect and other people see it and feel bad for you and the ‘horrible’ situation you’re currently in. Quite frankly when someone writes a status obviously about me, I find it funny. It’s funny that they’re so pathetic or scared or sad or immature that they can’t talk to me face to face. Like a grown up. Like a decent human being. Not to mention, it’s embarrassing. Other people will see it and be like ‘Oh, did you see their status? How immature/bitchy/hilarious’. So, it’s immature, it doesn’t look good and it doesn’t solve anything. Will you writing that status repair your friendship? Or solve your issue? No, but talking with them might. So what is the point? What does it achieve? Oh yeah, nothing, it just makes you out to be an whiny immature spineless person who can’t stand up for themselves or solve issues that occur in their lives themselves.

So to summarise, just get over yourself. If you have a problem, actually put the work in and sort it out. Find a way to solve it. And if they’re really your friend then they deserve your honesty and for you to talk to them, not your bitchy social media messages.

Thank you all for reading and apols for the rant.

Much love.
Stu

3 comments:

  1. can you please move your pet hippo as it is currently inconveniently crushing my foot
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stu...I can't find the button that allows me to follow you! It is julia btw lol...xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ignore that I am a retard!Following you now! xxx

    ReplyDelete